Thursday, October 27, 2011

Clarification

I just want everyone to know that I have nothing against medication. My issue is with someone suggesting to my husband that I need medication.

We are seeing a counselor every few weeks and I'm in close communication with my OB/GYN as well. If we were to discuss it and medical professionals were on board and I was on board. I would be all for it.

I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea that I think medication for depression or other mental health issues is a negative in any way. I feel that it can be immensely helpful and that it is a decision that a patient and their medical support team should make together.

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog through the new Loss board on the Bump and when I read this post and the post below it I was so, so upset for you (also, my sincere condolences on the loss of your boys).

    After the loss of my twin daughter I sought out counseling, which I go to on a regular basis, and lean on my husband and my immediate family for support. I'm constantly encouraged by my counselor, who I trust dearly, to do what's best for me and to follow my gut. I'm so sad that in getting out for the weekend with your friends your gut was kicked. Someone suggested medication to me once and when I broached it with my counselor she immediately shot it down - she's of the belief that if I "numb" my grief with medication that it will come to the surface eventually, that it's only a temporary fix when you are dealing with something as severe and traumatic as the loss of a child, or in your case, children. After reading your blog I have seen such strength in you and I'm so glad that I found it.

    Milestones have been so difficult for me so far and I'm only about six months out, so I'll think of you this month as you relive the events of this time last year. Again I'm so, so sorry for your loss and I hope your friends recognize that their love and support is what is best for you, and not their criticism or suggestions of how to move on.

    ReplyDelete