I would seriously like to trade in my ticket for this roller coaster ride. I'm done and we've haven't even tried to get pregnant again. I guess I should just be glad that yesterday the coaster took an up swing. We have hope again and it's a great thing. (Did you hear that attempt at positivity? I'm trying) In related news, I'm beginning to hate my phone. I feel like I've been on it for two days straight.
So yesterday morning I decided to call my MFM to see if she had any recommendations to help our situation with the p17 shot. I spoke to a super wonderful nurse for a long time explaining our situation. She said she'd check with Dr. Dugoff and get back to me. While I was waiting for her to call back I called the pharmacy that currently compounds p17 for my OB's office. I wanted to check if they were still compounding it and how long it was shelf stable for. I was hoping that, best case scenario, I could get some now and stockpile a little to offset some of the costs. The news was even better. They can continue compounding it for now because they suspend theirs in sesame oil and not castor oil like the patented version. He also said he could play around a little with the dosage (ex. 270 instead of 250) to try to get around the patent too. He was planning to continue to compound the med unless the big evil pharmaceutical company brought huge lawsuits against him. I cried when he told me. I think he thinks I'm a little crazy but I'm okay with that. It was so great to have a glimmer of hope.
Then the fabulous nurse from my MFM's office called back. The two pharmacies they use for p17 will also still be able to compound the drug for $10 a dose. Woo hoo!! We have options again. She said we should go ahead with this cycle as planned. She also said that the council for high risk OBs is working on alternatives to Makena just in case the big evil pharmaceutical company gets its way and no one else can compound it at all. I feel confident that she can get me enough meds at reasonable price to go ahead with this cycle.
So we are cycling in about 3 weeks. HOLY CRAP! Talk about a total 180 in 24 hours. I can hardly believe it and can't stop crying. These are the first tears of joy in a very, very long time.
I'm not going to stop fighting for the government to drop p17's orphan status or for KV pharmaceutical to drop the price of Makena to a reasonable rate but I'm glad it's not necessary before we try again.
I am really happy for you and all the other mommas out there who need p17 that these pharmacies are doing all they can!!
ReplyDeleteHey,
ReplyDeleteThey are talking about the outrage of the price on Mekena on msnbc right now!
According to MSNBC: The FDA is going to lay off the pharmacies that are making the drug due to the March of Dimes getting involved. The drug company is working on lowering the price of the medication. I hope this means you won't have any problem getting the medication!!
ReplyDeleteJust read your whole blog. I think all IF women who go through ivf are so brave, but you especially. SO thrilled that you can get the shot at a reasonable price. That price hike was disgusting. Good luck with this FET. And with everything else.
ReplyDelete